Thirteen faculty members whose combined service to the University totaled 357 years were honored at an annual event Wednesday, May 3, at the Harris Alumni Center. University leaders noted that each of the retirees had been active participants in the many changes and milestones in the life of the University.
Chancellor Philip L. Dubois presided over the program, offering remembrances of each retiree. Additionally, he noted the University’s recent 70th anniversary and recognized that a few retirees with more than 35 years of service helped to write half of the University’s story.
Retiring faculty members who attended the recognition ceremony were:
- Defloris Baldwin, associate dean and director of the School of Nursing, who joined the faculty in 2009
- Patti Wilkins, clinical associate professor of educational leadership, who began her tenure in 2008
- Beth Rubin, professor of sociology, who joined the University in 2002
- Diane Browder-Boswell, Lake and Edward J. Snyder Distinguished Professor of Special Education and Child Development, who has served the University since 1998
- Sybil Huskey, professor of dance and theatre, who joined UNC Charlotte in 1992
- Franz Rothe, associate professor of mathematics and statistics, who joined UNC Charlotte in 1989
- Larry Leamy, professor of biological sciences, who began his tenure in 1988
- Richard Lejk, associate professor of computer science, who started at the University in 1983
- Tyrel Moore, professor of geography and earth sciences, who started at UNC Charlotte in 1982
- Janet Levy, professor of anthropology, who has been at the University since 1980
- Michael Green, associate professor of reading and elementary education, who joined the faculty in 1978
- Al Maisto, Bonnie E. Cone Distinguished Professor of psychology, who began his tenure in 1977
- John Nelson, associate professor of architecture, who started at UNC Charlotte in 1976
Some faculty members may not have declared their intent to retire, so the above is not an exhaustive list for the current academic year.
Click here for more images of the retiring faculty.