As a reminder, on Dec. 31 of each year, any employee with more than 240 hours of accumulated vacation leave will have the excess amount converted to sick leave so that only 240 hours are carried forward as vacation to Jan. 1 of the next calendar year.
- All vacation time-off balances over 240 hours in Kronos will be rolled forward on Jan, 1, 2020.
- All 2019 time-off requests must be submitted and approved in Kronos by Dec. 31, 2019.
- Any time-off requests for 2019 not submitted and approved by Dec. 31 will not be included in year-end calculations that roll vacation leave balances over 240 hours into sick leave.
For example, if an employee is projected to have 250 hours of vacation leave reflected in Kronos on Dec. 31, 2019, and does not want any hours to convert to sick leave during the vacation balance roll on Jan. 1, 2020, the employee must take leave and have a time-off request submitted and approved in Kronos before Dec. 31, 2019. Otherwise, 10 hours (minus any BONSAL hours taken) will convert to sick leave during the roll process, and any late requests will be processed against the new leave balance.
Review this HR FAQ for additional information regarding year-end carryover and the effects of BONSAL leave usage.
Information for part-time and those working fewer than 12 months
- The cap of 240 hours carryover is prorated for permanent part-time employees and permanent full-time employees working less than 12 months, based on their full-time equivalency (FTE). For example, an employee at .50 FTE x 240 hour cap = 120 hour cap to carryover.
- This carryover pro-ration is not reflected in the Kronos messaging on the employee's accruals table; employees will need to calculate the applicable carryover hours based on their FTE. If applicable, the pro-rated carryover will be applied once the leave balances are rolled forward on Jan. 1. No exceptions will be able to be processed.
- To view accrual balances, log into Kronos, click on My Information, then My Profile and finally the ACCRUALS section. See this Kronos FAQ about each column balance in the ACCRUALS section.
Timesheet approval deadline
The timesheet approval deadline for the bi-weekly period ending on Dec. 21, 2019, and the four week period ending on Dec. 22, 2019, will be Friday, Jan. 3, 2020. Email KronosTime@uncc.edu with questions or concerns.