HR update on legislative pay increases and the North Carolina state budget

Thursday, July 14, 2022

Dear Colleagues,

As you may have already seen in the news this week, the budget recently passed by the North Carolina General Assembly has been signed by Gov. Roy Cooper. 

The budget includes larger raises for state employees than originally planned. Eligible SHRA and EHRA employees will receive an additional 1% salary increase on top of the 2.5% increase announced previously, for a total of 3.5% under this bill and in addition to the 2.5% received last fall.

We anticipate receiving instructions from the state soon, and we will update you when we have more information on when the increase will be reflected in your payroll. It is expected the raise will be retroactive to July 1, 2022. 

We recognize that any lag in implementation, coupled with rising fuel and food costs, affects employees, and we are working with the state to ensure we can implement the pay increases as quickly as possible. If you need assistance at this time, please make use of these economic support resources

Thank you for all that you do to support UNC Charlotte.

Gary Stinnett 
Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources