Summer is the time to try new activities, keep family and friend traditions and indulge in your favorite books. Here’s what Niner Nation had to say.
Hiking trails and mountain air
“Hiking mountain trails to enjoy the sights and sounds of the forest.” — Teresa Shook
Some great places to hike in North Carolina include Grandfather Mountain, South Mountain and Roan Mountain.
Garden tending and grilling
“Working on my garden and grilling on my patio.” — Mark Colone
Visit the UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens, or take a look at the student garden on campus.
“This summer I visited the U.S.S. North Carolina with some friends, and it was super cool!” — Jordan Estabrook
The U.S.S. North Carolina is located in Wilmington, North Carolina, and the U.S.S. Yorkton in Charleston, South Carolina.
How about summer readings?
Here are some recommended reads from your fellow Niners:
- “The Secret Book of Flora Lea” by Betti Henry
- “Lessons in Chemistry” by Bonnie Garmus
- “The Usefulness of Useless Knowledge” by Abraham Flexner
- “The World of Tomorrow” by Robbert Dijkgraaf
- “And Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie
- “The Unwinding, An Inner History of the New America” by George Packer
- “Demon Copperhead” by Barbara Kingsolver
- “Beloved” by Toni Morrison