Welcome to SYC, a new monthly digital experience featuring our stories, priorities, media exposure and social media connections that advance and highlight UNC Charlotte’s mission as North Carolina’s urban research university. SYC replaces the previous digital offerings Community Advance and Capital Connections. We hope you enjoy using these stories about UNC Charlotte’s essential role in shaping our community and Stake Your Claim by sharing them.
PORTAL: Our Newest Powerhouse Opens
UNC Charlotte’s newest powerhouse is open for business. The PORTAL building is the latest example of the University’s commitment to foster partnerships with private industry. The facility was designed to stimulate business growth and job creation along with promoting research and innovation.
Capital Connections: 2014 Legislative Agenda Preview
The North Carolina General Assembly session convenes in May, and we are hard at work making our agenda known to legislators. These priorities involve budget allocations that will enable UNC Charlotte to fulfill its role as a regional economic force, sustain its current growth trajectory and continue its commitment to providing students with a quality academic experience.
Alumni to Host Inaugural Green Tie Gala
‘House the 49ers Built’ formally dedicated
UNC Charlotte starting football this past fall provided the spark for the Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter to raise funds to build a home for a deserving candidate as part of homecoming 2013.
On Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014, Ron Spivey became the official owner of the “House the 49ers Built.”
Students are Green with Gratitude
Students are learning the importance of giving back to UNC Charlotte. Over two weeks in February, members of UNC Charlotte’s Annual Giving and Stewardship teams set out to educate students on the prevalence and impact of private giving to the University with the Green with Gratitude initiative.
Events Issue 1
- Friday, April 4: Alumni Association Green Tie Gala
- Saturday, April 5: UNC Charlotte 49ers Spring Football Game
- Wednesday, April 2, to Sunday, April 13: NC Science Festival/Science and Technology EXPO
In the news issue 1
- Dr. Joe Coyle, clinical associate professor in Kinesiology spoke about waking up during surgery for nationally-syndicated show America Now on WBTV 3 on March 6.
- PORTAL was the Charlotte Business Journal's cover story on March 7.
- Economist John Connaughton spoke to WSOC-TV about his economic forecast March 11.
- Connaughton and political scientist Eric Heberlig discussed the economy and war on poverty on WFAE's Charlotte Talks March 13.
- The Metropolitan Studies Program was mentioned in a Wall Street Journal article on Big Data on March 23.
- The Charlotte Observer and Huffington Post featured articles about a UNC Charlotte study on homelessness on March 23 and March 25, respectively.
- A March 31 Malcolm Gladwell piece in the New Yorker about the Waco Branch Davidian conflict cites Religious Studies Professor and Chair James Tabor's work with the FBI and his book Armageddon in Waco.