Welcome to SYC, a new monthly digital experience that highlights UNC Charlotte’s mission as
North Carolina’s urban research university. SYC replaces the previous offerings Community Advance and Capital Connections. We hope you will share these stories as you Stake Your Claim.
On one hand, Kyle White, '13, has taken his place among the scores of returning military veterans who have advanced their futures at UNC Charlotte. That's in our university's DNA since its post-World War II founding to serve vets under the GI Bill.
UNC Charlotte's founder, Bonnie Cone, would proudly call Kyle one of her 'Bonnie's Boys' for achieving his degree in finance in the Belk College of Business and beginning his career in financial services here in Charlotte with the Royal Bank of Canada.
The following contains an account and photos from Rachel Ward, a senior anthropology major and the official photographer of UNC Charlotte's second summer archeological dig in Jerusalem at Mt. Zion.
We headed to the Holy Land this summer with more excitement about the work ahead of us than worries about our extended stay at the religious crossroads of the volatile Middle East.
The Alumni Association is pleased to welcome the following new board members:
When Hechenbleikner Lake re-opened in late 2012, Chancellor Philip L. Dubois said he was eagerly anticipating some new 49ers. They’ve arrived, and they just happen to have gills.
Click through the Flickr gallery to see highlights from the June 3rd Raleigh Alumni and Legislative Reception.
Graduate certificate programs can provide individuals with an important educational credential in a focused area of study, and the University is seeking to increase program visibility of the nearly 40 graduate certificate programs through a new mini-marketing campaign.
Saturday, July 12: CHROMA: lyrical lines and compulsive color Opening Reception
Monday, July 14: MBA Information Session (online)
Wednesday, July 16: Graduate Certificate Virtual Open House
Monday, July 21: Charlotte 49ers Football Ladies' Night Out
Wednesday, July 23: Graduate Certificate Open House
Monday, Aug. 4: College of Education Open House
Tuesday, Aug. 5: MBA Information Session (online)
Tuesday, Aug. 5: College of Education Information Session (online)
Saturday, August 16: Durham Bulls vs. Charlotte Knights Alumni Event
- UNC Charlotte's and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools' engineering-focused early college high school was featured in the Charlotte Observer July 5.
- Envision: Charlotte and UNC Charlotte are teaming up to reduce energy use in Uptown office buildings, as reported by the Charlotte Business Journal June 29.
- History Professor and UNC Charlotte's longest-serving employee Dan Morrill was featured in the Charlotte Observer on June 28.
- Engineering Professor Brett Tempest spoke to the Charlotte Observer about coal ash on June 22.
- Chance W. Lewis, Grotnes Belk Distinguished Full Professor and Endowed Chair of Urban Education, has been the facilitator of the HBCU Education Dean’s Think Tank for the past three years and was higlighted by Black Christian News Network One on June 17.
- History Professor David Goldfield commented on the Juneteenth celebration on WFAE on June 16.
- UNC Charlotte’s rocketry team won the Best Vehicle Design award in the NASA Student Launch competition, beating 31 other universities from across the country, as reported by the Charlotte Observer June 13.
- Political Science Professor and Department Chair Gregory Weeks examined President Obama’s approach to forging social and economic ties with Latin America in the Miami Herald June 9.
- Bruce Taylor, associate professor in the Department of Reading and Elementary Education wrote about improving literacy in the News and Observer June 3.