Graduate Life Fellows ready to welcome graduate students to UNC Charlotte
The seven graduate students appointed by the Center for Graduate Life to serve as this year’s Graduate Life Fellows are a unique group of individuals. They come from diverse backgrounds and academic disciplines. Most importantly, they share a passion for UNC Charlotte and are excited to welcome new and returning graduate students to campus, in-person, for the 2021-22 academic year.
Upcoming town halls
Virtual town halls will be open to students, faculty, staff and family members on the followings dates:
- Tuesday, Aug. 10, 10 a.m. - Employees Town Hall, register here
- Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2 p.m. - Student Town Hall, register here
- Monday, Aug. 16, 2:30 p.m. - Student Town Hall, register here
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: FACULTY & STAFF
- Important Reminder on Return to Work: It is expected that all staff employees have returned to their on-campus pre-pandemic work schedules. Faculty are expected to resume normal on-campus schedules by the first day of the semester -- Monday, Aug. 16 -- to begin classes on Monday, Aug. 23.
- The following Canvas courses will be offered Monday, Aug. 9:
- Explore the Canvas interface, learn how to set the home page and communicate with your students and practice adding content and resources — including the syllabus — to your Canvas course. We will guide you in setting up assignments that report to the gradebook. The workshop begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Introductory Canvas course for instructors who have never used My Media and Kaltura to manage videos in their Canvas course. The workshop begins at 11 a.m'
- Learn to use the Canvas assignments page to set up your gradebook to calculate course grades. You’ll learn to create and enter grades with SpeedGrader and use rubrics for communicating expectations of quality. The workshop begins at 1:30 p.m.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: STUDENTS
- Drop-ins at the Career Center will end Friday, Aug. 6, and resume Monday, Aug. 30. But, don't worry, we are still here to help! In the meantime, you can utilize e-mail drop-ins.
- Join the Student Alumni Association and the Alumni Association on Thursday, Sept. 9, at the 2021 Back-to-Campus Bash at the Hauser Alumni Pavilion. Enjoy mouthwatering meals, spirited freebies and much more!
OUR POINTS OF PRIDE
- Niners welcome standout transfer Mekayla Frazier: Charlotte 49ers softball coach Ashley Chastain has announced sophomore Mekayla Frazier has transferred into the program from Elon University. Frazier, who made 33 starts at second base for the Phoenix, batted .294 with four home runs and 18 RBI as a freshman.
- 8/6: BODYPUMP is the original barbell class that strengthens your entire body. This workout challenges all your major muscle groups by using the best weight room exercises like squats, presses, lifts and curls.
- 8/6: Hoping to focus on strength, balance, and flexibility while getting a good workout? Power yoga will take you through the elements of yoga at a faster pace and keep you moving the majority of the time.
- 8/12: Head to Camp North End for the Immersive Van Gogh Exhibition — at a discounted rate. The UNC Charlotte Alumni Association is partnering with Black Moth Bars to create a custom 49er drink to enjoy before or after your Van Gogh experience.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What would you like to see included in this daily email? Complete this form with your feedback. We want to hear from you!