Back-to-school workshops for faculty support student success in the classroom
UNC Charlotte’s award-winning Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) has expanded its capabilities to support faculty who seek to keep pace with emerging technologies, teaching tools and learning practices. CTL now offers its most robust schedule to train new instructors and to provide seasoned faculty with the latest tools and methods for both in-person and remote instruction.
University conducting NinerAlerts test Thursday, Aug. 12
The Office of Emergency Management and Police and Public Safety will conduct a full test of the NinerAlert system from approximately 10 to 11 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 12. All methods of alert notification will be used. This includes text messaging, email, Alertus technology (on-campus screen takeover), LiveSafe and social media.
The test message will read:
NinerAlert: This is a test of the UNC Charlotte Emergency Alert System. This is only a test.
Students, faculty, staff and sponsored guests
Before the test, please log in to Banner Self Service to ensure your cell phone information is correct. Learn more on how to add or update your information. Please note: Make sure you are updating the “emergency text phone number” in Banner.
Please visit the Emergency Management website to review information on how to subscribe to NinerAlerts.
Following the alert message, the on-campus sirens will also be tested. A voice message on the sirens will announce it is a test. Additionally, a test of the University’s lockdown mechanism will be conducted. This may temporarily prevent individuals from entering buildings for a short period of time. There will be no issues with exiting a building.
In the event of an actual emergency, the test will be canceled and appropriate instructions will be sent via NinerAlerts.
If you have any questions about the University’s alert system or the test, contact Tiffani Bowser, emergency training and exercise coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus vaccination clinics scheduled for August
UNC Charlotte will host two campus vaccination clinics for employees and students Thursday, Aug. 19, and Wednesday, Aug. 25, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Barnhardt Student Activity Center. The two-dose Pfizer vaccine will be offered at no cost. Register today!
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: FACULTY & STAFF
- Curious who supports University workstations in your building? See IT hardware, software and specialized support by building.
- Intercultural Opportunity: Request an international student panel for classroom or training sessions through the Office of International Programs' Cultural Ambassador Program. Deadline is Monday, Aug. 30.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: STUDENTS
- Join Counseling and Psychological Services for August sessions to learn tips for success during transition, as well as an overview of the programs and services offered.
OUR POINTS OF PRIDE
- Computer science major Ana Pathak receives CCI's inaugural Kathy Harris Service and Leadership Award: Ana Pathak believes transferring to UNC Charlotte changed her life. She aims to give back as a mentor to future female technology leaders and those from other underrepresented groups, in the spirit of the late Kathy Harris, a longtime CCI supporter whose name bears the award she received.
- 8/10: Hit on strengthening all of the major muscle groups in this class! 30 minutes dedicated to training your muscles.
- 8/12: Spend a lot of time searching your inbox? Join us for tips on how to better organize your email.
- 8/13: Hoping to focus on strength, balance and flexibility while getting a good workout? Power yoga will take you through the elements of yoga at a faster pace and keep you moving the majority of the time.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What would you like to see included in this daily email? Complete this form with your feedback. We want to hear from you!