Phi Beta Kappa approves chapter for UNC Charlotte
Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious academic honor society, has approved a chapter for UNC Charlotte. The University joins an elite group of just 10% of U.S. colleges and universities approved to shelter a chapter.
- Correction to yesterday’s feature: University Convocation on Thursday, Aug. 19, is for faculty and staff only.
Fact vs. Fiction
What is fact and what is fiction? Learn about some of the most common myths about the COVID-19 vaccine with information compiled by the CDC, Johns Hopkins, Mayo Health Clinic and the University of Missouri.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: FACULTY & STAFF
- “Creating In-Video Quizzes Using Kaltura in Canvas” is the third course in an instructional video series on using Canvas and covers the in-video quizzing tool. The workshop is Friday, Aug. 13, at 11 a.m.
- Would you like to make grades available to your students online? The “Canvas Assignments and Gradebook” workshop will teach you to use the Canvas assignments page to set up your gradebook to calculate course grades. The workshop is Friday, Aug. 13, at 2:30 p.m.
- “Library Resources and Instruction for Students,” a workshop scheduled for Monday, Aug. 16, at 1:30 p.m., will help you incorporate the Atkins library into your courses, including strategies for online integration to embed your subject librarian in your courses, adding library videos and quizzes and using the conferencing options to offer online library instruction and reference assistance. Additionally, you will learn to work with your librarian to create assignments that build proficiency in research and information literacy.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: STUDENTS
- Join Leadership & Community Engagement for the Gold Rush Day of Service on Saturday, Aug. 28. During this half-day experience, you will volunteer at one of three nonprofits that are vital to the Charlotte community, each with close ties to our University. Breakfast, lunch and transportation are provided. Register by Sunday, Aug. 22!
OUR POINTS OF PRIDE
- Integrated Design Research Lab's window project wins R+D Award: A patent-pending microalgae window system developed in the College of Arts + Architecture's Integrated Design Research Lab has won a 2021 R+D Award from Architect Magazine.
- 8/13: BODYPUMP is the original barbell class that strengthens your entire body. This workout challenges all your major muscle groups by using the best weight room exercises like squats, presses, lifts and curls.
- 8/14: Volunteer at the Barton Creek Native Meadow. Assignments include weed removal and mulching around native plants. This event is for adults and teens (accompanied by legal adult guardian). Bring your own gloves, trowel, kneeling pads, sunscreen, bug spray and comfortable gardening attire.
- 8/17: Explore methods of keeping organized with Google Drive, including how to sort, filter and search for files. Also, discover how to use and manage folders for better organization.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What would you like to see included in this daily email? Complete this form with your feedback. We want to hear from you!