Zip code or genetic code?
UCity Family Zone — a geographical area surrounding UNC Charlotte spanning roughly 18 square miles and home to 53,000 residents — is a comprehensive effort co-developed between community leaders and Charlotte faculty and staff with the goal of promoting overall well-being, reducing preventable disease and increasing social capital.
In honor of World Mental Health Day on Sunday, Oct. 10, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) will engage our community in a variety of events, Oct. 7-8. These events empower all individuals to enrich the community of care that is intrinsic to our institutional identity, emphasize the need to destigmatize mental health issues and educate about help-seeking strategies. Learn more about World Mental Health Day and events hosted by CAPS.
Additional flu vaccine appointments are available. In partnership with Publix Pharmacy, the University will offer campus flu vaccine clinics for employees and students. All clinics will be open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Registration is required. Those scheduled to date include:
Tuesday, Oct. 5, Student Union, Room 340
Wednesday, Oct. 13, Student Activity Center, Food Court
Wednesday, Oct. 20, Student Activity Center, Food Court
Niner Nation is invited to attend two virtual listening sessions with members of the Provost Search Committee. The purpose of the listening sessions is to give the campus community an opportunity to provide feedback on the qualifications, skills and attributes that are important for the next Provost to possess. There will be two virtual listening sessions:
Friday, Oct. 8 at 10:30 a.m. Register Here.
Wednesday, Oct. 13 at 12:00 p.m. Register Here.
You may submit questions prior to the sessions by completing this form. If you're unable to attend the virtual sessions or prefer to submit your feedback in writing, you may complete the following online survey. All responses will be treated confidentially.
COVID-19 mitigation testing
The University is continuing to conduct ongoing COVID-19 mitigation testing of unvaccinated nonresidential students, faculty and staff. If you have not scheduled your mitigation test for the current week, Oct. 3-8, please do so now. UNC Charlotte is covering the cost of on-campus mitigation testing. If you do not register for and participate in an on-campus test, you will need to submit an off-campus, negative test result, at your expense, by Friday, Oct. 8, at 11:59 p.m.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: FACULTY & STAFF
- The ASC/SECC Campaign begins today!
- Developing a fundable Scholarship of Teaching and Learning grant proposal! This workshop on Wednesday, Oct. 6, provides practical strategies for faculty writing proposals for this year's SoTL.
- Who will receive two of this year's most distinguished faculty awards: The Harshini V. De Silva Graduate Mentor Award and the First Citizens Bank Scholars Medal? Learn more about these awards and nominate a colleague.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: STUDENTS
- The 2022-23 Resident Advisor (RA) application is open through Sunday, Oct. 17, at 11:59 p.m. RAs serve as vital peer leaders to our Niner Nation residents and communities. They utilize their training to uphold community standards to maintain inclusive and welcoming residential communities committed to living and learning. Find out more and apply on the Housing and Residence Life website.
- The Office of International Programs is hosting the annual Study Abroad Fair, Oct. 5-7. Both in-person and virtual opportunities will be offered as well as a chance to win a $600 study abroad discount.
OUR POINTS OF PRIDE
- Rowan, Foster lead comeback charge in volleyball's 3-1 win over Florida Atlantic: Charlotte volleyball's Emani' Foster and Sydney Rowan each hit over .300 with 19 and 18 kills, respectively, leading the comeback charge in a 3-1 victory over Florida Atlantic on Saturday, Oct. 2. The matinee consisted of a second set win to tie the match and a massive comeback in the third to help sweep the Conference USA weekend.
- 10/5: Join the Center for Wellness Promotion and the Office of Identity, Equity and Engagement for an interactive presentation that will focus on creating a common language, types of abuse, relationship dynamics, how to support a survivor and unique barriers LGBTQ+ survivors face.
- 10/8: Watch the Charlotte 49ers women's volleyball game at Old Dominion.
- 10/15: Join the Campus Activities Board for a night of terror, screams and fun at Scarowinds! Can you handle the thrill?
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What would you like to see included in this daily email? Complete this form with your feedback. We want to hear from you!