UNC Charlotte Marriott Hotel & Conference Center officially opens
The UNC Charlotte Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, which features 226 guest rooms and 21,563 square feet of event space, officially opened yesterday. The $87 million, 173,00-square-foot project is owned by the UNC Charlotte Endowment Fund, financed by the UNC Charlotte Foundation and operated by Sage Hotel Management, a Sage Hospitality Group company.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: FACULTY & STAFF
- Variety engages learners. When designing your course, this online guide, Ideas for Alternative Assessments, shares a number of assessment types to keep students engaged.
- Check out Atkins Library's March newsletter, which includes a reflection on a year with COVID-19, a Liberry Lager update and details on the library’s publication of “Jewel in the Crown.”
- UNC Charlotte is one step closer to preventing interpersonal violence thanks to a generous $15,000 donation from the Jamie Kimble Foundation for Courage (JKFFC). The Center for Wellness Promotion will partner with JKFFC to launch the Green Dot violence prevention strategy. Interested staff and faculty will participate in a four-day virtual training to become certified in the Green Dot strategy . Training will be via Zoom May 18-21; faculty and staff can sign up by April 19.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: STUDENTS
- We are Green with Gratitude because as of Jan. 13, the Student Emergency Fund has supported 1,544 students and distributed $532,400 in aid, 100% of which was funded by individual donors! Giving back changes lives.
- Starting today, all items featuring the old C-pick logo will be 75% off the final price at Barnes & Noble Charlotte. This offer is in-store only while supplies last. Get a piece of University history before it's gone.
OUR POINTS OF PRIDE
Two students advance to NATS national auditions: Two students in the Musical Theatre Certificate program have advanced to the National Association for Teachers of Singing (NATS) Student Auditions.
School of Architecture Director Blaine Brownell was interviewed by Horizon network's “Building Design + Construction” about new materials and systems for post-COVID construction.
Research by UNC Charlotte Educational Leadership professors was cited in a story about school funding from North Carolina's Education Lottery.
- 4/9: Lowe's Technology Day, hosted in partnership between the College of Computing and Informatics and Lowe's Companies Inc., will feature a virtual conversation between Dean Fatma Mili and Seemantini Godbole, EVP and chief information officer of Lowe's. There also will be a panel discussion with Lowe's executives about technology trends in a post-COVID world.
- 4/6: As a part of Public Health Week, the Graduate Public Health Association is promoting UREC’s Gentle Yoga class along with events posted online at www.nphw.org.
- 4/20: Join Charlotte's planning director and UNC Charlotte faculty members for a virtual discussion about housing regulation, affordability and economic mobility.
STAY UPDATED ON THE COVID-19 VACCINE
Find the latest information on when and how you can receive your shot on the Niner Nation Cares website. Let's keep our community safe and healthy!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What would you like to see included in this daily email? Complete this form with your feedback. We want to hear from you!