Bikes, trains and automobiles: UNC Charlotte research keeps traffic and people moving
Transportation engineers find ways to ease traffic congestion and design alternatives to keep people moving in communities — through public transportation, greenways for bicycle and pedestrian traffic and autonomous vehicles to name a few. UNC Charlotte researchers are leading this field by bringing experts together from across the country and training the next generation of transportation engineers.
- Updated mask mandate: Effective today, the University has reinstated an indoor mask mandate. For more information, visit Emergency Management’s COVID-19 website.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: FACULTY & STAFF
- The Fall 2021 semester will likely pose challenges for our students who will return to campus and be expected to continue to function amid the continued global pandemic and ongoing identity-based violence and oppression. Faculty and staff can join Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) on Thursday, Aug. 12, for a 60-minute virtual workshop, "Supporting Student Mental Health During the Campus Return," to learn practical ways to support student mental health. Registration is required.
- The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 provides additional temporary relief to Health Flexible Spending Accounts and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts. If you participate in either of these plans, please reference the provisions the State of North Carolina is temporarily adding.
- The Offices of Undergraduate Admissions, Levine Scholars Program and the New Student & Family Services transitioned their Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Systems to Slate, Sunday, Aug. 1, 2021. This new CRM will allow Admissions and Levine Scholars to better serve our applicants, students and staff through enhanced capabilities and features that support recruitment and admission efforts. If you have any questions about the transition to Slate, please reach out to Katie Ramstack.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: STUDENTS
- The lobby of Robinson Hall for the Performing Arts will be host to a piano sale Aug. 5-7. A large selection of grand pianos, baby grands, digital player grands, vertical (upright) pianos and digital pianos will be available, with instruments from such famous makers as Yamaha, Steinway & Sons, Kawai, Disklavier, Clavinova and many others.
- The Fall 2021 semester will likely come with new challenges as we return to campus amid the continued global pandemic. Students can join Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for a 60-minute virtual workshop, "Niners Navigate the Campus Return," to learn more about signs of stress, ways to manage emotions and quick tips for communicating boundaries. This workshop will highlight practical strategies and resources to help you prioritize your well-being during the campus return and beyond.
- The countdown to Gold Rush starts with Year One Launch! Through Friday, Aug. 20, new second-year and transfer students will be welcomed to campus with a schedule of events tailored to their unique needs as new students. More than 60 Year One Launch events will take place in virtual, hybrid and in-person formats. For a complete list of events and to learn more about how to make the best of Year One, download NinerDestination from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
OUR POINTS OF PRIDE
- Diverse geoenvironmental team bringing expertise to mitigating frost heaving: A diverse team of researchers from the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at UNC Charlotte is bringing its expertise in the use of organo-silanes (water-repellent additives) to create hydrophobic soil to solve the problem of frost heaving.
- 8/3: Learn how to create professional presentations by adding compelling content, collaborating and presenting in Google Slides.
- 8/3: This cycling class is great for all fitness levels and a change to your regular fitness routine.
- 8/4: Train your lower body with us! We will hit on all of the major muscle groups such as abdominals, glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings and more.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What would you like to see included in this daily email? Complete this form with your feedback. We want to hear from you!