Happy 75th Anniversary, Charlotte!
Today is a special day in our University’s history, as we celebrate 75 years of success. Seventy-five years of transforming lives through education while positively impacting our region and beyond through research and economic development.
All of our accomplishments have been made possible by the extraordinary students, exceptional faculty and staff, dedicated alumni, generous friends and strong leaders who helped us move forward -- starting with Miss Bonnie.
Together, Niner Nation has built a remarkable university.
We will commemorate this important milestone through a variety of Founders Day events, which are listed below. I hope you will be able to participate.
What will the next 75 years look like? That’s ours to shape together!
With Niner Pride,
Sharon L. Gaber
September 23, 2021: Happy 75th Anniversary to UNC Charlotte — and Niners everywhere!
In 1946, the post-World War II era — and the cultural changes it ushered in — swept America. In Charlotte, North Carolina, Bonnie Cone was leading a charge to bring public higher education to the state’s largest city. Wartime manufacturing and related activity at and near Fort Bragg, Fort Davis and several Marine Corps facilities had helped to lift many North Carolinians out of Depression-era poverty.
A need persisted, however, in the central and western parts of the state for four-year, degree-granting institutions to prepare residents, particularly those returning from military service, for careers and opportunities of a modern era fueled by new technology and emerging industries.
75th Anniversary News
- The City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County made a proclamation announcing Thursday, Sept. 23 as “UNC Charlotte Day”
- 10 Things to know about UNC Charlotte’s founder, Miss Bonnie E. Cone
OUR POINTS OF PRIDE
- A look back on 75 Years of UNC Charlotte: Take a look back at some of the big moments in UNC Charlotte's history.
- 75th Anniversary Drop-in Celebration from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the Popp Martin Student Union. Join Chancellor Gaber, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Kevin Bailey and the Student Government Association for a drop-in celebration; sign the giant anniversary cake/banner before grabbing a sweet treat and a special anniversary t-shirt.
- Looking Back to Shaping What's Next: A Conversation with Dr. Sharon L. Gaber at 6 p.m. on Zoom. Join Alumni Board President Frenchie Wilson Brown ‘91 as she hosts a virtual conversation with Chancellor Sharon L. Gaber. This is your chance to celebrate our University’s past and learn more about what’s shaping our next 75 years.
- Faculty, staff, students and alumni will assemble and deliver care packages this afternoon for four local community partners: Niner University Elementary, Care Ring, Crisis Assistance Ministry and Hope Vibes. At this time all of the volunteer slots have been filled.
Atkins Library Exhibits
The “From the Owls to the All-in-C: 75 Years of Signs & Symbols at UNC Charlotte,” exhibit is now on display, through this anniversary year, in Atkins Library, on the first floor. The exhibit features images and memorabilia such as logos, mascots and other important symbols from Charlotte’s history.
Atkins Library Special Collections & University Archives created a self-guided walking tour which can be enjoyed while on campus or from any location. The tour currently features 16 points of interest dating back to the groundbreaking on the current location of the main campus in 1961. It includes significant facts from primary and secondary sources as well as current and historical images of places on campus.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What would you like to see included in this daily email? Complete this form with your feedback. We want to hear from you!